Reading Strategies

1. Fluency Reading Strategies Bookmark - I often use these animal-themed reading strategies during guided reading and Phonics lessons. I love the idea of supplying students with a bookmark that they can use as their own resource independently, too.

2. Depth & Complexity Icons - I am always looking for new ways to incorporate the Depth & Complexity Icons into reading comprehension in order to provide more opportunities for critical thinking and text connections. I think that having a visual display will remind me and my students to use them more frequently!

3. Reading Comprehension Spinner - This is a super fun way to check students' reading comprehension while allowing them to think more deeply and make a text-to-self connections to reading while forming opinions. The prompts are also great conversation starters for partners and student-led group discussions.

4. Story Details/Retelling/Summarizing Frame - I have seen a few different frames and strategies for retelling, but I really like the way this frame uses clear language and key words to cue specific information to recall story details in order to retell or summarize.

5. Reading Comprehension Strategies Posters - I think that, often, reading comprehension strategies are so ingrained in us as adults/teachers, that we can gloss over explicitly teaching them. These posters break the strategies down so clearly to remind us to teach the important pieces, and help students to easily recall the strategies. The "I can" statements are particularly empowering and accessible to students.

Comments